Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Skipping to Day 30: New Beginnings

So... 19/30 isn't awful... (it's more than I blogged in the past five years, so growth? Yay!?)

This past week has been full of the wonderful and awful surprises that come with working in education, so my ability to be truly reflective was overtaken by the desire to keep my head above water. I keep going back to the thing I wrote in one of my first entries, that true growth happens in difficulty. So I'm really growing right now.

This last question asks us to reveal what we might do if we weren't afraid. I'm generally not afraid of too much - maybe I'm most afraid of getting off schedule with school stuff. I don't like to be behind on grading (which I am right now), I don't like to not have a plan for where we are going, I don't like feeling like I'm very behind. So if I weren't afraid of that... I might go off script for a bit. My students had a Socratic Seminar a couple weeks ago - around 80 minutes of just my students talking (self-moderated) about the reading and the ideas that stemmed from it. If I weren't afraid of being behind on all of the things my students need to know, I would have more entirely-student led classes. We would discuss what they wanted to, and I wouldn't have to worry about AP or ACT scores, and we would just refine our thoughts and argumentation skills.

What would Socrates say about all of our testing? What would he have done if he hadn't been afraid? (Assuming he was ever afraid of anything... or would admit to it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment