Saturday, September 20, 2014

Day Sixteen: Super Speedy Scoring

If I had a superpower, it would be the ability to grade or score work with rapid-fire speed. This sounds like a stupid power (maybe my super power is to slow down time or to speed up my reading and writing, like to super-human speeds), but I've been thinking about ways to get effective feedback to my kids as quickly as possible, and this sounds like a good option.

This comes from this post that I read recently on Edutopia on providing quality feedback, as well as the question we asked "what is meaningful feedback and are you good at giving that feedback to your students?" I have always seen this as one of my weaknesses as a teacher, and I think it's because of my perfectionist nature (see my last post). I want to give the BEST feedback possible, and as personalized as possible, and as understandable as possible. Which is just not possible 100% of the time.

So if I could be a super-speedy scorer, part of my issues would be solved. I could score quickly and then spend more time letting kids know what those scores mean for their future work and growth. This will someday be solved by the App I will create for my classes, so then my answer to this question will change: probably to something like "the ability to fly" or "the ability to know when they are messaging friends with their iPads instead of looking up information for class."

No comments:

Post a Comment