Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day One: In which the "Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenge" makes me blog again.

If you look over at my profile, you might notice that this is my TENTH blog on Blogger (to be fair, around seven of them are for past classes - now we use Schoology, so I don't need to post stuff here anymore). So hi, again, blog world. I have not done this for reflection, or fame, or fun in years. (I did have some crazy thoughts that my Peace Corps blog would go viral and somebody would make a movie about it. Didn't happen. Whatever, I'm not bitter.) 

So here we go! Day One: Write your goals for the school year. Be as specific or abstract as you'd like to be! 

1. Would it be too easy to say I'd like to survive? Probably. It just feels that way because we're into week three now. However, I do want to be more cognizant of the struggles that I experience, and to apply them to learn something new. I read an idea on The Eagle Rock School* blog this week that "the answers, growth, insight - and ultimately deep learning - often occur in the conflict." So I want to rise above just surviving, to learn and change what I do, and ultimately to change what my students can do in that process. 

 2. I want to be the most organized person my students have ever met. 

3. I hope to teach my students to love reading and writing, but more importantly to love each other and the importance of being kind.

4. I dream of the possibilities for our school and hope to be part of implementing at least one of them in the next year (like, you know, creating a more positive school culture). 

5. To that end, I will go to all the home football games. Unless I'm sick and dying. 

I have more, but we'll start here.

Alright, day one is done... and since I started this a day late, you can look forward to day two very soon. (It's like when The Bachelor airs two episodes in one week; you don't have to wait for the drama! It's coming so soon! You're welcome?) 


*Eagle Rock School is an alternative school in Estes Park, and they do some very interesting things for and with their students. If you like to read about interesting schools - and if you've made it to this blog, I'm assuming you do - you should check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment