Monday, September 8, 2014

Day Five: My Classroom

I'm going to cheat a little and NOT put a picture of my physical classroom here. I just moved into that room, and I share it with a couple other teachers, so it looks awkward and empty right now... Ideally (if I didn't have to worry about the other two teachers) I would have multilevel desks. OR desks that raise up so that students could stand if they wanted to. It's kind of crazy that we ask kids to sit for so long all for the semblance of a "learning environment" when some of them could really use some time on their feet.

The picture I'm putting on here is from my Schoology classroom. I've been experimenting with different ways to organize this information so that students can clearly see the documents they need. I see a ton of information (and folders, but it's organized with the most recent unit and weeks at the top, so that's good), but what I would like to see is more options for receiving the information. Videos? Maybe something set up like Khan Academy? Can I make it look like that? I'm not sure. I do like Schoology as an LMS, but sometimes I wonder if the future of teaching lies not just in learning how to use technology effectively, but in actually creating different technologies that will support our individual classrooms. Kind of the way different professors make students buy and read their books for class - will the class of the future have apps the professors made specifically for that class?

And now I will go read how to make code so that I can make this app for my classroom of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment